First DWI Offense in Tarrant County, Texas
Tarrant County DWI Lawyer
Texas imposes strict laws against driving while intoxicated (DWI), and even a first offense can result in serious penalties. Drivers over the age of 21 will be charged with drunk driving if they are found to be operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08% or higher. A first-time DWI is charged as a Class B Misdemeanor, so it is important to have skilled defense on your side. Our team at Alband, Lane & Balderama provides aggressive defense against all types of DUI charges in Tarrant County, and our experienced criminal attorney can fight for you.
Penalties for a First DWI in Texas
Conviction for DUI will lead to harsh sentencing, even if it is only your first offense, which is why it is crucial to have the representation of a skilled Tarrant County DWI defense lawyer on your side. Possible penalties will be impacted if there were any aggravating factors involved in the accident, and sentencing will likely include fines, jail time, license suspension, community service, and the installation of an ignition interlock device.
- A first offense will lead to fines of up to $2,000
- If a minor under 15 was in the vehicle or if the accident led to bodily injury or death to another person, fines will be increased to as much as $10,000
- The jail sentence for a first DWI is a minimum of 72 hours to a maximum of 6 months in county jail
- If a minor was in the vehicle, the sentence is increased to a minimum of 180 days to a maximum of 2 years in county jail.
- If the incident resulted in bodily injury, the sentence is increased to a minimum of 2 years to a maximum of 10 years in county jail.
- If the incident led to the death of another person, the sentence for a first DWI is increased to a minimum of 2 years to a maximum of 20 years in county jail.
Driver's License Suspension
- For a first offense your driver's license will be suspended for 90 days
- If you refuse to submit to a chemical test, your license will be suspended for a minimum of 180 days
- A first DUI offense carries a minimum of 24 hours of community service
Ignition Interlock Device
- At the ALR hearing, the judge may order the mandatory instillation of an ignition interlock device, and the length of time it must be installed will be at the judge's discretion
Arrested for drunk driving in Tarrant County?
If you are facing a DWI charge, it is important to retain experienced legal counsel for your case as soon as possible. Our skilled Tarrant County criminal defense attorney at Alband, Lane & Balderama has defended countless clients against intoxicated driving charges, and we can challenge the allegations brought against you.
Our team can thoroughly investigate the evidence to find flaws in the prosecution's case and seek to have your charges and penalties reduced. We can ensure your rights are protected and provide you with powerful advocacy before the courts.
With so much at stake, what are you waiting for? Contact our DWI defense lawyer in Tarrant County to learn more about fighting a first time DUI charge.
Extremely relieved.- John
Thanks to Mr. Alband, a two-count indicted felony case was dismissed completely.- Ann
I just wanted to say thank you!- C.F.
Genuine kindness is no ordinary act.- V.B.
I am sincerely indebted to you.- R.S.