Domestic violence typically refers to patterns of abuse by one or both partners in an intimate relationship (such as a marriage, family members, those who are dating, or those who live together).
A domestic violence conviction can bring consequences that affect an individual for the rest of their lives. These consequences can last long after the punishment for the crime has been served, and include difficulty in acquiring a job, purchasing a home, or applying for secondary education.
Types of Domestic Violence
Many criminal acts are encompassed under the umbrella of domestic violence, and some of the more common include:
- Beating or assault
- Sexual assault
- Verbal abuse, threats, or intimidation
- Removal of a child without the other parent's consent
The above acts do not actually need to be committed for domestic violence charges to be levied. Even the threat of committing such acts can result in domestic violence charges.
What are the Penalties for Domestic Violence”
The penalties administered for a conviction vary widely due to the variety of criminal acts involved in domestic violence, but they can include fines of up to $2500 and up to 2 years in prison. If you have been arrested on domestic violence charges, it is very important to contact a defense lawyer in Fort Worth who can represent you in court and ensure you receive a fair trial.
Common Domestic Violence Defenses
Each domestic violence case is different, meaning your defense will depend on the nature and details of your unique charges. As such, our Fort Worth domestic violence defense lawyer will closely examine the circumstances of your accusations to determine the best course of action that can help minimize the impact of your case. The following domestic violence defenses serve as a foundation on which our attorney can build upon:
- Self-defense: We can argue that you were simply defending yourself from the alleged victim’s threats or acts of danger.
- False allegations: You would be surprised to learn how often reported victims lie about their experiences to get revenge on their alleged abusers. For instance, such abusers may have asked for a divorce that didn’t sit well with their partners or got in a heated argument that ended with slamming doors and shouting insults. These examples do not constitute domestic violence but instead can cultivate false allegations.
- Lack of proof beyond a reasonable doubt: The prosecution has the burden of proving your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. If there is a lack of evidence or even the slightest uncertainty that domestic violence was committed, our attorney can employ this defense on your behalf.
- Lack of probable cause: If the police lacked probable cause to search your person or property and/or arrest you, then they are unauthorized to do so. But unfortunately, you may have been searched and arrested anyways, calling for our Fort Worth domestic violence lawyer to argue that the police did not have probable cause.
- It was an accident: Accidents happen all the time, but since they are unintentional, the prosecution cannot satisfy its burden of proving that a domestic violence crime was committed with intent. For example, if you accidentally spilled liquid on the floor and your accuser slipped and fell, you are not guilty of domestic violence.
Our Fort Worth domestic violence attorney does not use the typical “cut-and-dry” approach that many other lawyers employ. We understand that everyone’s situation is different, therefore their defense strategies should reflect their individual case as well. For 18 years, we have crafted aggressive defenses to domestic violence charges and, as a result, helped countless clients put their cases behind them.
In Need of Domestic Violence Representation?
Alband, Lane & Balderama is an experienced and dedicated firm that has represented countless clients in their criminal cases. We can provide you with assistance in your domestic violence case and increase your chances of avoiding these consequences by securing a case outcome that is beneficial to you.
"So good to have an honest and knowledgeable team behind us."Angel
"They have provided a sense of ease to my thoughts and heart. I can not imagine using a different group of people to help me in this situation."John
"Thanks to Mr. Alband, a two-count indicted felony case was dismissed completely."Ann
"Mr. Alband, I just wanted to say thank you and good luck with your future career."C.F.
Genuine kindness is no ordinary act, but a gift of rare beauty. For all that you are and all that you give, I thank you.V.B.