Skip to Content

Warrants in Texas: What You Need to Know


Are you concerned that there is a warrant for your arrest? If so, you’re probably nervous about getting pulled over for a traffic ticket, and you may even get jumpy whenever you hear a knock on your front door. At this point, you definitely need to become informed about warrants in Texas and in what circumstances they’re issued.

In Texas, the court may issue an arrest warrant when an individual fails to appear on Class C misdemeanor charges, or when they are assessed a fine but fail to comply with the court’s order. When a warrant for arrest is made, usually notice is sent to the person at the address shown on their ticket. The mailed notice will outline the violate charged against the individual, the charge against them, and the fine associated with the charge.

You can be issued a warrant for your arrest if you:

  • Fail to respond to a ticket within an 11-day period
  • Fail to appear in court at the scheduled time
  • Fail to pay a fine assessed by a judge
  • Fail to complete the Driving Safety Course requirements
  • Fail to follow a condition of your probation and your probation is revoked
  • Default on your payment arrangements
  • Fail to do your community service as told

Arrest Warrant Under the Texas Penal Code

Under Title 1, Chapter 15 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, “A ‘warrant for arrest’ is a written order from a magistrate, directed to a peace officer or some other person specially named, commanding him to take the body of the person accused of an offense, to be dealt with according to law.” Arrest warrants in Texas extend to any part of the state.

If someone wants to plead “not guilty” to their warrant charge, they must post the required bond so a trial date can be assigned for their case. The three types of bonds include cash bonds posted by the defendant or a third party, surety bonds from approved bail bond agencies, and personal appearance bonds.

If there is a warrant for your arrest, contact The Alband Law Firm at once for a free case evaluation. We can be reached at (817) 997-4366.